February 11, 2019 will mark the 4th International Day of Women and Girls in Science. This day was recognized by the United Nations in light of the global need “to achieve full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls, and further achieve gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.”
Science and gender equality are both vital for the achievement of the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Over the past 15 years, the global community has made a lot of effort in inspiring and engaging women and girls in science. Yet women and girls continue to be excluded from participating fully in science. On International Day of Women and Girls in Science, let’s change this narrative.
Join us in celebrating women and girls who are leading innovation and call for actions to remove all barriers that hold them back. Here is a collection of initiatives undertaken by partners of the Gender Gap in Science project to celebrate on this day.
- Celebrations at the University of Sciences and Technology Houari Boumediene. Six Algerian scientists women will be honored during this event. Program of the day.
- Message from Raissa Malu, Ambassador of the Next Einstein Forum for the Democratic Republic of Congo: https://youtu.be/CoZz3lsAyYU
- Activities of the 6th edition of Science and Technology Week to be held in Kinshasa
- Celebration at the IBENS – Institute of Biology of the ENS
- The meeting Free Computational Mathematics, CIRM, Marseille, taking place from 11 to 15 Feb include an evening discussion on February 12, Celebrating the Women in Sciences day.
- Activities in México (Instituto de Matemáticas, UNAM, Sociedad Matemática Mexicana and Instituto de Matemáticas Aplicadas, UNAM)
- Video by the Mathematics Institute of México to celebrate February 11th
Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Online campaign to recognize women scientists who have been an inspiration to us. We invite you to use #IAdmire on any social media platform between now and Monday and let us know about one (or several) women scientists who you admire.
- The Spanish “11 de Febrero” initiative was born on September 2016 to commemorate the “International Day of Women and Girls in Science”. Since then, the Initiative has become a benchmark in the dissemination of Women in Science issues, with over a thousand activities that take place in Spain during February every year.
- Celebration at the Barcelona Graduate School of Mathematics
- The Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation is organizing a one day event about women in STEM. The RSME (Spanish Mathematical Society) will participate and explain the work of its commission for women and mathematics.
- Celebration at the ICMAT (Institute of Mathematical Sciences)